Sweet-fresh basil, tomatoes, pasta and hard ricotta cheese (ricotta salata) are staples in Apulia. Apulia, known as Puglia in Italian, is the heel of the boot of Italy.
Ricotta salata is a milky-white hard sheep’s milk cheese. It’s used for grating and shaving.
Orecchiette is a pasta shaped like small round disks or little ears.
• Feta cheese or Parmesan cheese can be used instead of ricotta salata.
• Any type of short-cut pasta such as penne or corkscrew can be used instead of orecchiette.
• To save prep time, buy diced tomatoes from the produce department.
• Green beans can be substituted for the broccoli rabe.
• Any type of fish fillet can be used. Instead of a stovetop grill, the fish can be sautéed in a skillet. Cook it the same amount of time.
• Place water for pasta onto boil.
read more: www.duluthnewstribune.com